Sunday, November 04, 2007

Misconceptions

It has been remarked, more than once to me, that writing is simply having an idea, sitting down and writing it. So what's so difficult about that? There's also the complaint that "I'd write a book if only I had the time".

I'm sure as writers, you've come up against this attitude. I don't know about you, but it pisses me off. If ill-informed persons actually sat down and did the work, an attitude would undergo a radical change.

And yes, I'm grumpy today. Why? Because of good manners and being too clever for my own good, that's why.

Visitors, while enjoyed, cause me angst when I'm doing a marathon like Nano, no matter how much I deny it verbally and are relieved by the interruption. Today, it wasn't going well. I'm damned well avoiding action, wrote pages of inaction because I couldn't see where to put it!

Characters talking, villains planning, scenery described, back story invoked, but very little in the way of actual action. And I want it.

I'm likely to write some wholesale slaughter tomorrow, just to rid myself of the frustration. But I've come up with a plan to... lessen unnecessary deaths.

I'm going to plan a nice big action scene and write towards it. In fact, I think I'll have the Chateau invaded and let the security system... ahh... you see the problem? I've written an impregnable fortress where Dominica doesn't have to involve herself and that is wrong. The Chateau is so strongly built, not even a nuclear strike can penetrate the walls, so I have to think about how the villains can get in and force my protagonists on the run.

When I thought of the security system, I thought it fun - a misconception on my part because now I have to think of a way to defeat the system, damn it!

I think I'll go and have a beer and brood over it. Something will occur... and maybe I'll let you know...

3 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Hehe, one of my characters right is on the run, has a twisted ankle and bruises and cuts all over the body, is beyond exhaustion, and now it turns out his pursuers have dogs. But he needs to survive. :)

Jaye Patrick said...

I'm about to have a similar scenario, with at least one surprise.

Are you going to post this snippet?

Gabriele Campbell said...

You should read my snippet blog now and then. *grin*