Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Comfort Zoning

The best thing about writing is that you can do virtually anything to your characters. I say 'virtually' because there's always the opportunity to try and get them to do things that would be out of character.

I've got my protagonists reconciled - to a point - and on their way to safety... or not.

In any book you write, you have to give your characters a comfort zone. Then you have to strip them of it. Mwahaahaaa! Sorry, couldn't help myself. So. I've got them running around the desert heading for Djibouti. No one chasing them, just a nice long drive to freedom. But. They have two dozen children with them that they rescued. Not much of a problem there: they're all nice, well behaved kids.

The problem I'm giving them is that I'm taking away their comfort zone. They had a destination, now I'm throwing something else into mix.

Yeah. Characters aren't happy, they were looking forward to a nice long soak in a tub, a thick, medium-rare steak, an aged merlot, and a night of... well... adult fun.

They should have expected it. I mean, how often do things go smoothly, even in real life? That's right: Not very.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day's writing, I think...

1 comment:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Yeah, us writers are one sadistic group of people. Mwuahaha :)

*ponders what general Agricola's comfort zone might be (damn his biographer Tacitus who doesn't give me a decent clue) and then throws him out of it*