Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cheaters

I had thought that without the Author page over at Nano, the cheaters would be kept at bay, since they wouldn't be getting public recognition.

Sadly, this has proven to be wrong. I've come across some numbers that, quite frankly, don't add up.

For me, it's day ten, day nine for those in the U.S. and I've already spotted someone with 130,000 words to their 'credit'. Nope. I don't think so. I don't know any twenty-year-olds, who work full time, who could have that sort of a word count without cheating - be it writing for months before hand, or simply plucking a number out of the air.

And that is another clue to the cheaters: they like rounded numbers. Do you know how difficult it is to get an exact word count ending in 000?

Cheating is one of my buttons. It's dishonest, it's lying, it's disrespecting those who have put the effort in to try.

Oh, sure there are authors there that have great word counts, but I know they are true because I - or my inner athlete - keep an eye on them each year, so I'm aware of what they're capable of; and let me tell you, they rock.

This challenge is hard; I accept that. You've got to think of an idea and run with it at the very least. And it pisses me off that there are those out there who think it's funny or a joke to diss the serious writers.

Yep, it's a button all right. Maybe next year I should write a comedy and teach myself not to get so het up about it; and... maybe pigs will fly.

2 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I have only 2771 words so far, but they're honestly got. And maybe I'll crack the 3K tomorrow. :)

Jaye Patrick said...

You go, girl!

I shouldn't let the cheaters get to me, but they just do. I'm trying really hard to ignore them, and I shan't rant about it any more.

So there.