Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Dreamscape

The worst thing about Nano free-writing, is running out of ideas. Sure, you've got the characters, but then what?

I use the simplest of idea generators - the dreamscape.

Yep, just as I'm about to drop off to sleep, I think about the lead up to where I finished writing and let my mind work it out. So far, it's worked perfectly. Whole scenes and dialogue appear. Last night it was Dominica wielding a rather large Bowie knife, ala Alice in Resident Evil: Extinction with the Ghurkha Kukri. I thought that was really, really cool.

So I didn't forget the images, I replayed it from different angles until I was sure I'd remember. Then I went to sleep.

With this method, I can basically start the day's writing with ease. The difference in daily word counts comes about because, while I write, I also do the basic research I need on the 'net, or look it up in one of my reference texts.

I've never been to Somalia, Djibouti or Ethiopia. I knew they were partially desert, but what type? Sand, gravel, rocks, a mixture of all three? And what types of plants grow there? Are they edible, provide shade, have... things living in, under or around? Then there are the vehicles I'm using, Humvees. What do they look like inside? How many can they seat? What types of models? And the Apache helicopter...

As you can see, this type of research takes time and slows the word rate down considerably. It's all important, though. And tomorrow, I have to find out about Asmera - still in Ethiopia - and what kind of ships dock there. Should be interesting...

No comments: