Monday, June 11, 2007

Weathering the storm

The weather didn’t turn out as bad as I thought, though the north coast took an exceptional battering.

I don’t think it’s a result of global warming. If El Nino was in effect, the deep low wouldn’t have formed; if La Nina was in effect, it would have turned cyclonic – this is the weather we have in between those two phenomena. Atypical cyclical weather at that.

But, I did go out into the howling gale to take some photos of the surf on the other side of the point. Man, did it pound! And the difference was startling.

We had buckets of rain sweeping across the bay; that sudden stop-start stuff. The good news is that the land had a good soaking, the bad news, of course is that the North Coast and Sydney had too much of a soaking.

It's calm now, barely a breeze and the clouds are gone. I think they disappeared last night, because it sure was frosty this morning!

As a contrast to the surf on one side of the point, here are two more, taken from the same spot, but in different directions:

One with rough, towering waves crashing to the shore in a constant thunder of water, the other calm, gentle, like the Bay is on any other day with small smooth waves. One with a gale so fierce I had to lean into the wind to take the photos until the lens blurred and I could taste the salt; the other barely a breath of moving air as the side of the small cliff-face protected me from the bitter wind.
Then it was time to go, time to return to the warmth of home and out of the skin-nipping wind and oncoming rain.

That was Saturday and I kept to the computer, editing away (two books with a general run through, and next will be specifics). Of course, I would have posted these yesterday - Sunday - but, um, there was a Dr Who marathon on, and, you know…

5 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Wow, those pics are great.

I love storms at the coast. There is so much power in water and wind.

Bri said...

I tried to watch Dr. Who this past year because it came on right before Battlestar Galactica - but I must have always caught it on the off episode or I should have watched it from the beginning. I should probably give it another try...

Loved the pictures, especially the contrast - I live far, far inland and waves that large are just a tad frightening. But it sounds like good writing weather either way :)

Jaye Patrick said...

I love the stormy weather, too. I would have taken more photos from around the bay, but... my ears were getting cold!

Oh, the new series of Doctor Who starts next week, I'm soo looking forward to it!

Pandababy said...

Fantastic pictures, Jaye, and your description of taking them "gale so fierce I had to lean into the wind...until the lens blurred and I could taste the salt" etc. so well written I felt as if I were there - (YES! you're a writer).

Jaye Patrick said...

Aw, thanks P.