Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Times Three

For the third time in two weeks, we’ve been pounded by near-cyclonic storms.

Weather systems are very important in this country; it’s either a famine or a feast Astonishing is what it is. The weather bureau warned of damaging surf, but, wow, who can actually imagine surf this big unless you’ve witnessed it for yourself? Now I know. Around our side, protected by Governor’s Head, the waves are nowhere near as big.

I. Am. Impressed. Really impressed. Gobsmacked.and, after years of drought, the rains are welcome – up to a point.

Early this morning, I checked the house; the backyard is saturated from the constant rain - almost a quagmire – and the amount of rain we had overnight finally overwhelmed the drainage system. So we have flood damage downstairs in the back room. Bugger it!

Unfortunately, I couldn’t start the clean up until this afternoon.

My morning was spent at the dentist – joy. It’s nearly an hour’s drive south and I gave myself plenty of time to get there.

The creeks are bloated with brown run off, the farm dams overflowing and the low lying areas wallow under a few inches of water. That’s okay; the farmers need the water and at least the roads were dry.

I arrived in Mollymook early and went down to the beach to see if the dangerous waters warning was still in effect. What do you think?

Beyond that point is the outside of Jervis Bay, where I live. This is the seaward side. My brother lives not far from here and likes to surf whenever he can. I doubt he’ll be trying this kind of surf; it’s rarely like this. And, I have to say, these weren’t the biggest waves I saw.

Up the coast, similar warnings are in effect, and the Pasha Bulker, stranded on the beach at Newcastle, is taking a hammering. No word on the damage, but here we had 98 kmh wind gusts.

Today, thankfully, is sunny; so sunny, it hurts the eyes after so long under the gloom of clouds and rain. It doesn’t look like it’s over yet, either. This is merely a reprieve. For the rest of the month, there’ll be two days of no rain – at least, that’s what the current weather report says. Any more than that, I swear I’ll start growing webbed feet.

However, for the rest of the day – and tomorrow - I’m on clean up duty. Before it rains again.

Hola La Nina.

3 comments:

Pandababy said...

Fantastic pictures, Jaye; makes me want to go spend some time at the coast. Really extraordinary detail in your pictures - do you use a telephoto lense?

Jaye Patrick said...

For these ones, no; what you see is what it was like.

For the Esmeralda, I sure did.

I use the cheat mode; ie, auto, and the camera does the rest. Well, I've got to frame the shot and wait patiently.

Maybe I should post some of my shots from my visit to "The Wild Oregon Coast"? (If I can find them, that is...)

Pandababy said...

Well, if you can't find them, come back soon and take some more...