Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Old Nano

I've been busily reading, editing and re-writing the work I did last Nano. Three books, all linked, over 180k.

As you can imagine, it's taking time. The third book remained unfinished, so I've been writing the ending for it while trying to keep with the mindset I had when I steamed headlong into it.

So far, I've added another eight thousand words. For all of them, I still need another 25,000. I'm not entirely sure where I can put those in, but I'll have to find a couple of extra scenes somewhere without jolting the rhythm of the works.

I thought at the time I shouldn't stop; that I should continue until the book was done. But no. Covered in smug over the word count, I decided to rest on my laurels. The books weren't going anywhere, after all.

Now, seven months later, I'm scrambling to complete the last one and wondering if I should do the fourth. You can't have three seasons, there are four.

And yes, I freely confess I'm an idiot over this. All this hard work could have been avoided if I hadn't been so bloody arrogant.

But... I had a good laugh with the second one. I don't remember writing a lot of any of the books; getting the words down was the most important. I'm glad I had enough sense to put in some humour, though. All books should have something amusing in them, otherwise, I think they drag you down with unrelenting drama.

I'd better get back to it. They all read well, and I'm not skipping over parts; that's a good thing. Let's see if the new words match up with the old.

No comments: