Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Dictator of Writing

I confess! I confess! I spent time today surfing the Blogs, though not with much interest; until I ventured over to Joe Scalzi's site, via Vanessa Jaye.

Better yet, Joe has a blogpost on what every aspiring writer needs. His post The Dictator of Writing Announces His Decrees Part I, had me laughing and nodding sagely.

No. 2: I had a thought, when I was much younger, to go into writing via journalism and duly spent three and a bit years at university. A BA in Professional Writing clutched in my sweaty hand, I managed to get one journalism/editors job after another until I was sick of it. I didn't have any time for the creative side of writing - which was what I wanted in the first place.

No. 3: Off I went into the real world; not the distant fantasy land of politics into which I landed straight from uni. I've worked as a receptionist, secretary, agricultural labourer, meat packer, vegetable sorter, driver, dining room manager, cleaner, wage clerk and admin assistant; all of which gave me a better insight into human nature than being a government journalist.

No. 4: Ah, yes. Guilty as charged. It's one thing to try and dazzle someone with your erudite manner; it's another to actually succeed without being accused of pedantry. Worse, your reader saying, "I didn't understand it; there were too many big words." Not the way to garner fans.

Joe's example cracked me up, while making a very good point.

No. 5: Done this, too, though not in a creative writing way; in a country newspaper way. Long hours, a boss who persistently interfered and staff who were afraid of him. It ended in my firing for publishing a story on local corruption. sigh. Being an editor, or completing an editing course, gives you the ability to see what your own work needs. And I think if more writers tried the other side, they'd have a better understanding of why their work was rejected and why editors are bald after reading so many subpar, but interesting works. I've tugged on my hair a few times myself.

Joe is right on all accounts. I left off number one because I'm not making anything in this career yet, but I will take his message to heart.

With so many books being published every year, only your very best will give you a chance. I wish I had this advice when starting out, I'd probably done a different degree. My life experiences - the good, the bad and the downright ugly - are priceless and finding Joe Scalzi comes in under the good.

No comments: