Thursday, June 14, 2007

Esmeralda

I had planned to nip up the street to the shops for a few things. Since it was bucketing with rain - again - I decided to drive.

The radio news came on and the first local story was that the Chilean Training ship, Esmeralda was in the Bay for the next twenty-four hours.

Not wanting to miss this opportunity, I grabbed the camera and set off. Sheets of rain still fell; full fat drops that curtained the headland. I found to get a good photo, I had to drive to the end of the road and then clamber over two hundred metres or so of rocks - yes, in the pouring rain.

Except, the rain eased off, then stopped and there she was:

A four-masted brigantine sailing ship. If I'd been listening to the news earlier or gone walking in the opposite direction, I would have seen her coming through the heads under full or partial sail and what a sight that would have been. I'm happy I was able to take the photo at all; I'd almost decided that wandering around on the rocks, in a wet raincoat, trying to protect the camera, wasn't the wisest of moves.

Once I had the pikkies, though, I scrambled up the rocks and saw... a path. And in following that path, I got back to the carpark in about five minutes; not the half-hour it took me over those bloody rocks!

Ah, well, live and learn. Ain't she a beauty?

I got home in time for an almighty thunderstorm to hit. Took about 30 mins for over an inch to fall, so no writing today. Cool; a day off! Which means....

3 comments:

Bri said...

You get the most amazing pictures :) Yesterday's post was interesting and got me thinking - I'm in a word count crush right now, and I'm sort of in awe at the 180K words. And by sort of, I mean really. Here's hoping the editing goes well.

Pandababy said...

Perhaps you'll snap a picture when she sails away? What a beauty - the ship; the picture. It could be a scene from before the world had engines...

Jaye Patrick said...

Thanks, bri, I can't help taking the new toy out (read: camera). I'm appalled at the amount of junk photos I'm downloading.

P., I wish I could have, but there was no set time for her departure, and I was off doing that history thing (not to mention the buckets of rain).