Thursday, November 02, 2006

Faster than a speeding... wombat

Can't say I'm off to a great start with NaNo, but it's a solid one. I'm behind schedule, of course, by about a thousand words. This is why weekends are so important, not just to me, but to everyone who works full-time (and can't sneak a few hundreds words).

To make my challenge, I need 4666 and a bit (can't forget the bit) every day; to have a chance of finishing, I'll need to do more than that so I have a buffer zone.

Now to something encouraging: Over at Rachel Caine's live journal, Rachel has prizes going, including a critique of the first 50,000 words completed and other prizes. Go and have a look.

For those who are struggling with NaNo, I'm going to post tips on most days.

Tip No. 1: Make sure you have set up a daily update sheet. On this sheet, have these rows - days numbered from 1 to 30; then columns word count, ongoing total and less 50,000 (if you need the formulae, let me know). Each time you finish a paragraph, do a word count and put it in the column, then do another paragraph. You'll be surprised at how quickly the less column reduces every single day.

Time for me to do my own writing... coz this don't count!

No comments: