Sunday, November 05, 2006

Done for today

And for the weekend. I did a lot of words and I'm nearly to the 50k mark, or a third through my personal challenge.

I wasn't going to post today, but I thought, 'what the hell'.

My focus wasn't what it should have been, but I was up late last night working on this. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I let my characters have their heads and they didn't disappoint.

In fact, at one stage, my fingers are flickering across the keyboard and I'm reading what's appearing on screen. It was so sad I ended up with tears in my eyes. (I'll admit right now that I had some sappy music on, so that'll be part of it.)

One of the most important aspects of writing is that you feel the emotion. If you can feel it, the reader will too - or should if you've written it properly. That's not always the case because the reader can't see into your head.

For me, it was a pivotal, tragic moment of cruel misunderstanding. I'll have to wait until December before I know if it works, though. I don't edit as I go, I simply get the words down.

And now, I'm done.

Tip No.5 Scene work: To complete your mission of 50k words, there are some scenes that are essential: sex, fights, arguments and make-ups. For the first two, you have the lead up, the action, and the follow up recriminations and justifications. For the second two, you can just jump right in and have at it. Then it's a repeat - but remember to keep in mind your finale. You don't want your characters to be so disillusioned that the ending won't work.

6 comments:

Michelle in Colorado Springs said...

I just wanted to say that I just finished Daystrider and I liked it.

Jaye Patrick said...

Thank you, Michelle.

Anonymous said...

Lol, there won't be any sex in this one.

Maybe that's the reason my wordcount sucketh - the only Nano I got more than 10K I had sex scenes. :)

Jaye Patrick said...

Well, G, you'd better have some long drawn out fight scenes; or a lot of short ones.

Although... the Romans were a bloodthirsty lot!!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I thought there would be no sex scenes because I don't have any romance and the two historical marriages are not an active part of the plot. I should have know better.

Now I have Arminius/Germanicus slash, of all things. This is so going out after Nano.

Jaye Patrick said...

Oh, cool, so I'm not the only with great chunks of shite to toss once this is over!