Monday, November 20, 2006

300

This is post number 300, and I have to admit I didn't think I'd get this far.

I've never been a diary or journal keeper; it took time and what I wanted to write was the prey of nosy and sometimes cruel siblings. That much I did learn. Instead, I kept what I wanted to say to myself, certain that no one was interested and if they were, I would be subject to derision and I-already-knew-thats, as I'd already experienced.

Once out of the familial home, that attitude never changed, until the advent of blogging. Even this I resisted; I ummed and ahhed over what the hell I could possibly talk about that anyone would be interested in.

And then it occurred to me: What did it matter?

In this place, I had an open forum to say whatever I wanted. I could wax lyrical on whatever took my fancy and if someone took me to task about it, that was their right as much as it is mine to put it here in the first place. There are, allegedly, millions of blogs, and mine can hide amongst them, stumbled upon by accident, or deliberately visited, it's here, hopefully to stay a while.

Freedom of speech, means just that: I am free to make a speech, which is more than I had as a kid.

So. Three hundred posts later, and I'm still going. It matters not whether people read it or not, post comments or not, because this is where I come to vent my spleen, share a joke, some information, or just rant. Because I can.

I hope I have enough to say for another 300 posts, and another 300. Who knows? One day, I may very well button my lip - but I don't think so; I spent too many years doing that.

No comments: