Saturday, November 11, 2006

Candles, both ends

It feels like it anyway. I’m steaming along with NaNo and I’m into the second book.

This one feels more cohesive; probably because the major points from the first book are still fresh in mind.

The difficulty comes with the reversing of a personality. It’s hard to take a bust-your-chops, rebellious, aggressive post-teenager and turn her into to a shy, fearful and hesitant woman; then build them back up to that same kick ass personality slowly.

Deconstructing the character from the first book to the second where more vulnerability is needed. There is such a thing as being too independent, too strong and tough. How do you get around that? By taking it all away. You’ve got to have a good reason, and an effective method.

I have to say, it’s fun. Poor Winter. So much power and no idea how to use it.

At the other end of the candle is time. Writing sucks it up and I’ve been spending long hours sitting at the computer. I’m still focusing well on the story line, still taking caffeine intravenously, but I will crash sooner or later. I’m working on the later. I want three books and I want them by the end of the month.

The current schedules dictates I finish this one by November 18 at the latest, the third by November 27, leaving me three days to build the first up to its preferred total of 70-75k.

Then I can collapse into a heap and sleep it off. Oh, joy.

No comments: