Thursday, October 19, 2006

Warming Up

I was going to do a post on global warming, the water crisis here, and Dr David Suzuki being in the country... but the topics are too complex and can wait(!).

So I'm warming up for NaNo via the outline challenge over at the Forward Motion Community.

Yep, I know, I know, I've said that outlining doesn't work for me; I'm an organic writer. But I thought I'd give it another go. Not because I can't resist a challenge... um... okay, got me there, but I think that outlining, even briefly, is good for any book. If nothing else, it's made me focus more clearly on the direction I want to take.

This year's Nano challenge will be two partnered books; both will start at the same point, but separate at a critical juncture, then come back together at the end of the second book. As you can see, the only way I can do this and not repeat myself too much, is to have two outlines; at the very least, plot points which will serve as guideposts rather than the guidebook.

The limitations will be that each book cannot be anymore than 75k each; that gives me a total of 150k, achievable if I knuckle down like last year.

I'm still creating my characters and world building, but by Sunday, I'll have just about everything sorted, I think... Tomorrow, I'll let you know more about the works.

Oh, hmm... still have to edit the novella... better get the can opener and prise out some extra time for that...

3 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

I wish my plot would come out of its hiding place already, the characters cooperate, secretive bastards, and that drunken sod of a muse return from Scotland. I'm so going to fail Nano. Again.

Jaye Patrick said...

Don't panic, G. I'll be on your case about it, threatening, cajoling, begging, and so on, because we care about your fiction.

In fact, I'm jumping over to the Nano sight and signing you up to my buddy list...

Gabriele Campbell said...

Thanks Jaye, I signed you, too.

I'm moved, so far no one has ever said to care about my fiction.