Friday, August 06, 2010

Family feuds

I'm trying. I really am. But sometimes, all family does is raise your blood pressure and stress levels. And I'm of the considered opinion that only family can tie you into a pretzel.

Either their mood isn't conducive to humour and fun, or I feel like I'm running a Fawlty Towers hotel. Even taking refuge in work wasn't effective - outside the house or my own editing.

The saying that guests are like fish, after a couple of days they go off, is a truism I shall hug to myself during those dark times of 'oh, no dinner/lunch for us, we're going out' while said meal is being cooked. The long, disapproving silences, the argumentative answers to questions... ad nauseum.

It's the headaches, the stress, the sleepless nights, the wondering why the hell they won't damn well talk to us like members of the same species, let alone family.

Still, only another three days to go. In the meantime, I'll try and remember why... um... family matters. And try not to bemoan, bitch, rant, rave and otherwise pop a cork.... sigh

No comments: