Friday, July 30, 2010

I write like who?

Um, yes, well, I should be doing domestic chores, but, like any good work avoider, I'm screwing around on the Internet. I found I Write Like from Tanya Huff's LJ account.

You copy a few paragraphs into the analyser and it pops out a famous writer. Of course I have better things to do, but what the hell. One of the books I'm taking to Melbourne with me, Knight Stalker came up with this:

I write like
Dan Brown

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



I don't know whether that's good or bad. Great story idea but dubious execution?

The second book, Demonesque, in a different genre:

I write like
James Joyce

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



All I can say is: "WTF???"

They're the new ones. The ones already out there? Okay, let's see:

Huntress

I write like
Cory Doctorow

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



Umm...

The sequel, Huntress: Sacrifice, came up with this:

I write like
Douglas Adams

I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!



I don't know whether that means the first few paragraphs are funny - they're not supposed to be - or it's got some weird juxtapositions about them that I should examine more closely. The third in the series came up with Dan Brown again.

And the Seasons series came up with Chuck Palanuik, Stephen King, Annie Rice and James Joyce. I should say that on Scribd, the second book (written like Stephen King) is the most popular, so maybe the analyser is onto something.

Apparently, the analyser "checks which famous writer you write like by analyzing your word choice and writing style and comparing them with those of the famous writers."

It's makes me feel rather schizophrenic, that I don't have a writing style I can call my own... precious.We wants it, we wants it... Still, it's one of those things you can procrastinate with for hours.

No comments: