Monday, July 23, 2007

Visiting Hours

Are over. I’ve got my computer back and the washing machine (I almost had to go commando and go barefoot. In Winter. I’m not a fan.), and the television and my bathroom and finally, my sanity. I only got truly snarly once; and they all stayed out of my kitchen while I cooked from then on. Sometimes, I’m really glad I’m a Gemini. Once beyond the boundary of the kitchen, I calmed down and chatted away as if they hadn’t breached the silver line.

Having the family come and stay is fine, but dealing with the aforementioned familial politics is a drain. These people will hold a grudge until it dies and then have it stuffed and mounted.

As a surprise (Goddess, what a surprise), my eldest sister turned up. The best I can say is that there were no harsh words. Lots of bristling, but no bad language or fights.

They’ve headed to Canberra, to my twin sister’s place. From there, they head to Sydney and fly back to Denmark.

And, while it’s nice that L. did some of the washing up, I’ll probably spend a couple of weeks trying to locate stuff that’s been put away in odd places. At the moment, I’ll be spending a day or so doing laundry and trying to decide what to do with leftovers. (The kids don’t ‘do’ leftovers, apparently.) On the plus side, A. was willing to try new foods and, for the most part, went the fang on what he liked. F, on the other hand, sat with head bowed and pouted, had small amounts of what she did like.)

I have to confess I was tempted to make a few points about parenting, but… didn’t. (Yay, me.)

I managed to read HP. I thought it was good, though Ms Rowling certainly went through the characters with a scythe. I could also see that the final chapter was in response to the idea of more books. Can’t say it was up to the same standard of the rest of the book and it was clearly written much later.

My elder brother, M., has now snaffled my copy to read. He began reading the books earlier this year because his son is fascinated. P. is six, but loves the movies even though they give him nightmares.

I think it’s important to take an interest in what your children are, or will be, reading in the future. It’s another connection to your children if you can usefully talk to them about what they’ve read.

I know A. was busting a gut to finish so he and I could chat about it like we do Star Wars and comic books, but he didn’t, quite, make it. Still, being able to talk about things like that to him and my niece, S., that makes me a very cool aunt indeed.

So, it’s back to me and my mother and blessed quiet. Time for me to catch up with all manner of stuff

6 comments:

Bri said...

I'm glad things went off without *much* of a hitch. I haven't picked up HP yet, but I've heard great things - and from what I have seen - I agree about the end.

Anyway - you mentioned comics. I've never really outgrown them and am always interested if anybody else likes them too. Which do you read?

Good luck with the laundry and the leftovers - hope you find time to write! :)

Jason said...

Ah, I'm glad that the visit was better than it could have been.

I liked the seventh Harry Potter book very much. Yeah, the ending did seem to have been added later, but it was still a nice touch, or at least, in my opinion.

I probably would have read comics a lot more in my life if I'd grown up near a comic store...or even had one locally. The last attempt I tried at reading comics, I ordered a subscription to The Adventures of Superman. Apparently, the stories jump from comic series to comic series. My second comic was part 2 of 8, and was continued in the Man of Steel series and my third comic was part 6 of 8 and it was also continued on the Man of Steel series. After that, I pretty much gave up.

Unknown said...

Grats on having the place to yourself again - I know how you feel.

JKR certainly did go through them with a scythe, but I'm glad she didn't pull any punches.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, I don't invite family, it would only end in murder, and it's no fun burying bodies in a cellar with a concrete floor. :)

Jaye Patrick said...

LOL, G.! I think you've got the right idea!

Bri, I read X-Men, when I can get my hands on it. I was so disappointed with Last Stand, they got so many things wrong.

Jason, Meryl, I think the book suitably wraps up all the plot points... except for... er, should I? Oh, hell, why not: the sword of Godric Gryffindor. How did Neville get it or did I miss something?

Jason said...

Jaye,

***spoiler for those who haven't read HP 7***

If I"m not mistaken, he pulled it out of the sorting hat like harry did in the second book.