Monday, July 30, 2007

Replay

I have got such a twitch under my eye, it feels cartoonish! I know it's not coz I looked in the mirror, but it's damned irritating when trying to focus.

Anyway. I've just finished reading two books sent to me by our favourite mentorPBW. Both are romance, and both deal with meeting up with old lovers.

And it got me thinking. How realistic are the reunions, and are 'reunion' stories worthwhile?

My answer was 'maybe' and 'not really'. And here's why:

No one can truly say what will happen when you meet up with an old boyfriend. If we're the one's dumped, all manner of scenario races through our minds should we meet up again. It can range from awkward, if there are still feelings, or smug, if you've moved onwards and upwards. Goddess knows, I've done the scenario thing and it never matches the plan. If your the dump-er, it's not so much an issue, unless you realise you made a mistake - been there, too. That's why it's a 'maybe' - any author can plumb the depths of the emotional issues involved and create the perfect situation for the story.

The second part, the 'not really', is just as bothersome. All sorts of reasons for the break-up are proposed; it's that emotional issue that has to be worked through to see the couple forgive and live happily ever after.

I don't particularly like them because I think they can be cop-out. The author still has to write those scenes, but its that the emotional angst is already there as back story. There's no exploration of new attraction, of the frightening plunge into new love nor the exploration of similarities or subtle differences; and I absolutely hate it when the villain of the piece was actually misunderstood or someone had to leave to protect a reputation, to 'find' themselves or to keep a secret. Nor do I appreciate the 'I did it for you' justification. What a crock, as if the victim of the story had no right to discuss the relationship.

I want to read something 'new'; of opposition, prejudice, disagreements, alliance, passion, truce, individuality and resolution. Not manipulation, demands, dominance, false ignorance, meek acquiescence and mutual indulgence. Sure, relationships are messy, but a number of alleged heroes I've read recently, I wouldn't give the time of day to, or I'd slap them silly for thinking I had the intelligence and fortitude of box of used tissues.

To me, good romantic fiction means writing about a partnership where most things are equal. 'Reunion' stories are a re-run, a chance to 'set things right' when a simply discussion would have meant there was nothing to 'set right' in the first place. There are exceptions: the amnesia (though it's a thin plot these days), the kidnapping or the sent to prison.

Then again, maybe that's just me. (And no, I haven't put those annoying books on my list at the side - they don't deserve it.)

1 comment:

Pandababy said...

Currently I'm reading "Lord Perfect" by Loretta Chase. Although I found several of Julia Quinn's novels to be LOL funny, the rest of them didn't satisfy. So far I've read "Miss Wonderful", "Mr. Impossible" and "Not Quite a Lady" by Chase. I like the way her protagonists feel. They are intelligent, witty, practical and avoid overblown angst and anger. She surprises me with the actions of the hero and heroine, acting in ways that feel genuine. I think her books meet the requirements of your first list and avoid the mistakes of your second list. Her e-books are available at Powells books on line.