Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Snarly snarl!

Yesterday, I decided to do some 'management' work on the computer. You know, getting rid of temporary files, running the virus check, the spybot check, the all-in-one check and then defragmenting the hard drive.

Well, bugger me if it didn't take all bloody day! And it's only a 40 gig drive - positively archaic given the prodigious amounts now available. If I had an 80 or more, the programmes would still be running into the depths of night.

But, I think I've worked out why it takes so long: some people, out there in cyberland, have too much time on their hands; that or they're simply arseholes who love to create little diseases that take time and effort to destroy. The worst of it is many virus checkers have constant updates of megabytes and dozens of new immunisations. If you have thousands of files to check, this, of course, is time consuming - and annoying while you wait. And wait. And wait for the checker to finish.

Then there are the spybots, malware, spyware and any number of byte-sized irritations to constantly update and search for. Yes, the programs I have do that automatically, but it's the need to do a complete scan that gripes my buns.

Of course, defragmentation is just as time-consuming as it is necessary - and I have two different programs to do it - but neither are completed quickly.

I'd probably do it more often if it didn't take so long. [Insert pout here.]

It's done now, [insert gnashing of teeth here] so I should be happy... except I'll have to do this all over again next month.

Sigh. The computer age is such a joy, don't you think?

2 comments:

Jason said...

Heh, that's pretty funny, because I say the same thing to my mom. I complain because my computer is slowing down and she says, "Well, have you run the virus scan and defragemented?" "NO!" "Why not?" "Because it takes so darn long! I've got things I want to do!"

On a side note, why do some people get their jollys from beings so darn mean? Why waste all that time creating a virus to damage someones hard drive? What are you getting out of it?

Oh yes, I just love 'em. *bangs head against wall.*

Jaye Patrick said...

Unfortunately, we have to do to keep the security up and the computer functioning.