Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dra-gon

As requested, here are some of my dragons:

The Western Learned Silver Dragon. At his feet is a Book of Runes (you can't quite see it, but it's there). He's protecting only a few jewels; the book - and wisdom - is more important. He is, of course, made in China - probably cheaply - but that doesn't matter, he's gorgeous anyway for what he represents and is extraordinarily detailed. There are matching silver book end dragons guarding, well, books, but I couldn't get the shot with both. I'll take photos of them one at a time later.

And yeah, he's guarding my collection of David Webers. No-one, and I mean no-one is allowed to borrow them. They're mine, I tell you, MINE! All my dragons are on one bookshelf or another; they seem to like it. Except when the Eastern dragons are too close; the West and the East don't seem to get along. If they are too close, I lose things, am more clumsy and can't seem to get any writing done. Go figure.

Three of the Eastern Dragons. Two are Imperials, the third is the Money Dragon (though it looks more like a turtle). The Imperial Dragon is the only dragon with three toes, usually holding down a pearl (to stop it from escaping, I suppose). The Emperor of China is the only person allowed to have the Imperial Dragon - it represented himself.

The Money Turtle rises from the deep on the back of a dragon and has the seven trigrams of heaven on his shell. The dragon has a coin in his mouth representing prosperity, abundance, strength and endurance. Not the best of photos, but then I think they're shy.

This is one of my favourites - actually, they all are (can't offend the others, now can I?) I picked him up at a garage sale for a couple of dollars. He's an incense dragon. You put the incense underneath (yeah, he sits on it) and smoke comes out his nose. Too cool for words.

He's my only smokin' dragon. I love his colouring, too and he's on a bookcase all on his lonesome - looks like I'll have to buy another one to keep him company. (What a great idea!)

I'll post more dragons later.

No comments: