Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Bizzie

This evening, my eldest brother D. and his family arrive for a six day stay.

My mother is treating it like a Royal visit. D and his family live in Denmark and she… we only see him every two years, unless there’s a special occasion and we fly over there.

For me, I’ve been running around the house cleaning – and that includes the walls – making beds and setting menus, shopping and generally making my own life a misery. Mother wants it all to be as perfect as possible. I’m quite surly about the whole thing. For no-one else do I do this. Why now? Because D.’s wife L. is anal about house cleaning and a lack of clutter. (I also think she’s hyperactive, because she can’t seem to sit still; she has to be doing something.)

I recall when the lower level had minor flooding the last time they were here. We had to clear everything out. L. griped that I had too much stuff. Too many books to move, too much furniture, too much. Being brunged up proper, I said nothing.

The kids are generally okay. A, my godson, is a real treat – he helped with the flood damage; F, his elder sister, unfortunately, is a little princess, constantly pandered to by her parents. She chose not to help, but instead decided sleep was more important. I could tell you stories about that little miss, but her character is too good not to be put into a book as a petulant child; I don’t expect her attitude to have changed.

My youngest sister and her family turn up on Saturday, then my other brother and his family are joining the fray on Sunday. On Tuesday (hallelujah) D. heads to Canberra to visit my twin sister and her brood before heading back to Denmark. One left out? Oh, yes. My eldest sister. She and D. are estranged. No visiting there, but she’s offered me a haven if they all get on my last nerve. I should probably say ‘when’.

So, we have the Big Arrivals. I’ve also got a dentist appointment this afternoon – oh… joy. Add to that the catering I’ll be doing – once someone in that family gives me their schedule of what they’ll be doing (visiting old friends, or just relaxing, etc.) and I may very well be scarce around the blog-o-sphere. Damn it!

I doubt I’ll have a story up today, but I’m gonna try. If not today, then tomorrow.

I really, really dislike having my own schedule disrupted this way, but it’s only for a week… at most… I hope… And I shouldn’t really gripe; they’re family after all, and I have learned patience, somewhat…

Oh, well, back to it…

No comments: