Saturday, January 20, 2007

Starstruck- out

Damn clouds again. Hid the comet as we stood in the cool nor'easterly. The kids thought it fun, though. They explored the surrounds, down the track. (Story: when I took the sunset photo, a blonde guy and his family stopped. "Whatcha lookin' at?" He asked. "A comet." Someone replied. His expression brightened. "Cool! I'm gonna have a closer look!" He promptly drove the car down the track!!) Closer look. Riiight.

Anyway, it was one of those 'let's pull off the side of the road' things; you know, you travel a road so often but never stop. It's a fabulous view I pass every morning, every afternoon, glance at the mountains and move on.

I should do it more often, though this time of year there's enough road-kill, baking under the summer sun to make stew for a battalion - or did you not need that imagery? You can, I'm sure, imagine the smell. Hah!

We were the only car that had stopped, though others continued to drive by, ignoring the scenery, the wonderful sky and dark grey clouds on the horizon.

For me, the time wasn't wasted. The evening star came out, and junior niece jumped up and down excitedly, decided that it was the comet. Her mother and I exchanged glances, then looked at kidlet's elder sister. She sighed as only a new teenager can.

"Is that the comet?" She asked her little sister. Junior smugly said it was, and she'd seen it first. Satisfied, junior handed senior the binoculars. "It's pretty." She declared with the deep knowledge of a five-year-old.

We all trooped home, junior chattering away and senior rolling her eyes but saying nothing. It was a moment. And why I enjoy them so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, that's sounds nice. And your junior niece sounds so funny. Yeah, we could all do better if we stopped and smelled the roses every now and then.

Jaye Patrick said...

I think people need more patience; slow down, look around and see there is more to life than self.

Sadly, I think people are still to interested in 'me, me, me'.