Sunday, February 17, 2008

M-m-more m-m-meme

I'm a curious creature and I love to read about other people (as well as listen in to their conversations) so I nicked this from Gabriele's The Lost Fort site.

Ahem...

What was the last thing you wrote?
“We know of your unhappiness, Shadrach and understand why.” It's the first line of a new piece o' work. Other than that, I've been editing.

Was it any good?
I don't know. Is it?

What was the first thing you wrote that you still have?
Umm... I think a story about the impending destruction of Earth, the evacuation of the planet and it's last defence. I wrote it - never finished - in my early twenties.

Write Poetry?
Used to.

Angsty Poetry
No.

Favourite genre of writing?
Science Fantasy, Science Fiction, Fantasy.

Most fun character you ever created?
Marquet from Demon's Gate. He's a selfish, morally bankrupt character who becomes a hero in an act of self preservation. It really pissed him off.

Most annoying character you ever created?
Rodin Clairmont from Anzac Ascencion. He still considers himself an only child in the Royal Family and treats his siblings accordingly. The hateful bastard!

Best plot you ever created?
Hmm... I like them all, but Oracle Betrayed remains my favourite.

How often do you get writer's block?
Every time a story line doesn't work. I think it's my subconscious telling me the concept sucks like a drain.

Write fan fiction?
No, I refuse to step into someone else's imagination unless asked.

Do you type or write by hand?
I type faster than I can write; and my hand writing is atrocious.

Do you save everything you write?
Yes. No idea is wasted, merely waiting for the right time to mature.

Do you ever go back to an old idea long after you abandoned it?
Yes. See above answer.

What’s your favourite thing that you’ve written?
When I go back and edit, I usually come across something and I think, "Wow! Did I write that?" It gives me warm fuzzies.

Do you ever show people your work?
Yes, I have a short story blog and some free e-stuff for peeps to download.

Did you ever write a novel?
Yes. I'm currently working on number 16.

Ever written romance or teen angst drama?
Yes, romance. Five finished, two unfinished. I don't know anything about teenage angst. I wasn't allowed to be that way.

What’s your favourite setting for your characters?
On worlds I create and in peril.

How many writing projects are you working on right now?
Let's see: This blog, one new book, editing a book and a story for the story blog, so that's four.

Do you want to write for a living?
Yes, please. Although I did work as a journalist, I wasn't writing what I wanted.

Have you ever won an award for your writing?
I think my ears are burning. Yes. I wrote a short story for a national women's magazine that placed in the top ten. My prize was ten free Mills & Boon books. Yep, ears are all hot.

Ever written something in script or play format?
Yes. For a university assignment and for the Story-a-day marathon over at Forward Motion.

Do you ever write based on yourself?
Every character I write contains Essence of Jaye - the good, the bad and the downright ug-lee. The trick is to keep it hidden.

What character have you created that most resembles yourself?
Hard question. Every character has a part of me. Though since they are all sourced in my imagination...

Do you favour happy endings, sad endings, or cliff-hangers?
I favour an appropriate ending. Whether it's happy, sad or a cliff-hanger is up to the characters. They're running the show. Mostly, they get a happy ending.

Have you written based on an artwork you have seen?
No.

Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?
No. I write first, then edit. That way, my concentration isn't broken.

Does music help you write?
Yes, but curiously, I rarely remember what I'm listening to if I'm in the zone. I won't even hear the end of the music, just an echo of the music when I'm done for the day.

Quote something you’ve written.
Memories she’d suppressed kept bobbing to the surface. She could still hear the bellow of the captain over the storm, the cold slap of water in her face as it came over the side, the seawater smell of fish, the sharp sting of open blisters on her hands as she hauled in nets, the warm flow of blood, washed from chilled fingers by salt spray.

She stared down at her palms. The skin was smooth now; the magic had healed her. If only it could heal the internal scars. She had been the only female on board; cook, whore and punching bag. Slave. Six weeks at sea, two days off in the lock-up to stop her from escaping. For two long years.


(From Oracle Betrayed.)

And there you have it. The best thing about this meme, is that it made me think. Thinking is always a good thing. It's right up there next to writing. Have a go at it, you'll see what I mean.

I'm going to re-read some of my stuff...

No comments: