Saturday, February 16, 2008

The biff

I love movies that contain biffo; the better the biff, the better I like it.

Films like Aliens, Terminator, Blade, True Lies all hold my attention until the end credits.

I don't need intellectual moralising or to wade through 'literary' angst or follow 'a family's triumphs and tragedies spanning the generations'. Call me shallow but gak. If I want real life, I'll look out the window - or call my own family.

Anyway, I've just finished watching the Resident Evil Trilogy. Damn, but I love the fights and the icky zombies. All three movies have enough tension to focus my attention, gruesomeness to raise my squick factor and action to fire up the heart rate.

It's all escapism; not much of a plot required - though opinions may vary. But I love the above movies because they do have a plot and they get the creative juices flowing.

Just by watching RE, I have a solution to the problem of a book I want to write. The book has nothing to do with genetic engineering, or zombies or evil corporations. Nothing, in fact, to do with the films at all. But following the concept, the theme, I managed to have a light bulb moment, right in the middle of all that biff.

Inspiration can come from anywhere; for me, it sometimes come during the delicate dance of violence. And now that I've had my dose of the biff, I can get back to writing.

Does that make me twisted?

No comments: