Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Spiced Solstice

It's time to make Hypocras, and I'll need a few bottles of the stuff. What is it? It's spiced wine.

Hypocras is a beverage steeped (ha!... sorry...) in history. Although it's named after Hypocrates, it's a medieval drink. Yes, I know, the Romans drank spiced wine but I suspect it used different spices.

King Henry the VIII drank Hypocras to aid digestion after his two hour brunch. His had gold flakes in it, but I think I'll forego that.

Hypocras is an acquired taste: half my family love it; the other half says it tastes like medicine. The best thing is, it makes the whole house smell like an English Christmas; must be the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves with the pine tree.

I use a modified recipe - without the ambergris which is "an opaque, ash-coloured secretion of the sperm whale intestine, usually found floating on the ocean or cast ashore: used in perfumery." Dictionary.com.

There are plenty of recipes around: Winemaking has a number of recipes, but it's best to fool around with a recipe until you get one you like.

I first had Hypocras at a Medieval banquet a couple of years ago. It was the kind of drink I couldn't seem to stay away from. Every time the wench put a bottle on the table, I refilled the small tankard. The food was from authentic recipes and exceptionally tasty - I still have the menu printed in fine script.

One year, I think I'll try my hand at having a Medieval Banquet for Solstice. Might be hard work, but it will be worth it; just have to gather the family for it.

2 comments:

Jason said...

That sounds really neat, Jaye. I've never drank any alcohol before, but I new and different stuff. I'd definitely be one to give it a try.

The party sounds like a lot of fun, too. Might be something to try someday.

Jaye Patrick said...

I think its longevity speaks for itself - not only is it tasty, it's good for you too.