Friday, December 14, 2007

Madhouse

It's been a madhouse around here for the last couple of days; you'd think Christmas was this weekend!

I've finished the Christmas present shopping (I do my Mother's as well), wrapped them all, done the housework, mowed the lawn and just come back from a present exchange with my sister up on the Highlands - about an hour and a half drive - oh, and picked up her dog to look after for a couple of weeks. Man...

This weekend I have my youngest sister and her boys coming down for some time at the beach and a prezzo swap since she won't be here for Christmas.

Here they come:

Just in case you forgot what season it is, this photo is the Santa Bike Ride. As you can see, everyone dresses up and rides to the pub some three kilometres away.

It started last year and this year there are nearly twice as many riders; I have no doubt that next Christmas, there'll be even more.

Each Santa donates money to the Volunteer Rural Fire Brigade and, at the end of the ride, there's a sausage sizzle, or barbeque and few cleansing ales, which, now that I think about it, is a really good reason for buying a bicycle and joining in! Shame it only happens once a year.

And there they go:

My one complaint is that in previous years, the Fire Brigade always had a slow parade down the street and tossed sweeties to all and sundry; no such luck now. Ah, well, my waist don't need no more sugah.

I think our brand new, crispy clean kerb and guttering looks rather nice. The Council boys did an excellent job, even laid down new turf. All I have to do, is keep the new grass alive... or I could just leave it alone to grow and not mess with it at all.

1 comment:

Jason said...

That's a really funny parade. In our town, we have a Christmas parade where people decorate their cars, and make floats (trailers decorated with some holiday theme) and drive down Main Street slowly, tossing candy. However, the Christmas floats are becoming fewer and fewer (and so's the candy) and instead you get to watch peole drive muscle cars and ATVs.

Hey, the street was repaved? They did a good job. Our town can't even patch a pothole right, ha.