Monday, May 21, 2007

Walkabout

If you lived in a misty valley…

Actually, as you know, I don’t, but this is a picture of the swamp behind where I live. Mist is rare here, but the high humidity and the rain created interesting thoughts. I don’t let a little leaking from the sky interfere with my walkabout and some days, it’s absolutely worth it. Swamp + mist + approaching storm = ideas for stories.

The good thing about the rain is that few people are out and about. I like the solitude; and I’m not a fan of the ‘good morning’ chirpy joggers and walkers always say in passing, as if sunny weather equates to sunny dispositions. For me, I wear headphones for a reason.

Anyway. On the way back, an Osprey winged past, but I was too late to take a shot. In the distance, he was joined by his mate and they had a little ‘to do’ in the air. That means diving and turning to present claws. Amazing, but I could not get a picture: they came out blurry and I missed the claw grabbing… damn it!

May is the beginning of their breeding season, so I figured they were courting. This couple has been around for a few years, and it’s always a pleasure to see them. Getting a photograph is difficult… but, here’s one of them:

He - or she - was drifting on the wind, which was increasing. They eat seafood and there's plenty of fish out there in the Bay. I didn't see them catch any; the sky darkened and I made it through the front door, just before it began bucketing with rain.

Sometimes if you ask nicely, nature will oblige.

4 comments:

Jason said...

That's really cool, Jaye. I like the misty swamp picture, it's really neat.

Pandababy said...

Thanks for sharing the beauty of where you live, Jaye. It's inspiring.

Tory said...

Sooo beautiful!!! I love nature as well but not cameras.
Great Blog
Take care
Tory

Jaye Patrick said...

Thanks everyone; I love this place and it's only good manners to share.