Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Walkabout

Most days, I go out for a morning constitutional; that is, I go off for a walk to get the blood going for the day.

It also serves as thinking time; there is, after all, a world of possibilities out there.

I've started to take my camera with me, since I'm constantly seeing things I'd like to have a photograph of.

This young fellow is a juvenile kookaburra (Kookaburras are the largest of the kingfisher family). I know he's a young'un because he's all fluffed up and his colours don't have the vibrancy of adult birds. He's out on his own, though, and he's got is eye on some juicy worms. It kind of looks a little cliche, with the gum trees in the background, but, it's on my travels. But enough of wildlife, how about a seascape?

I think across the world in villages and coastal towns, people are righteously smug about how beautiful their corner of the world is. I'm no different:

This is closer to home; about thirty metres from my house actually.

The headland with the light house is (in the Australian way of stating the bleedin' obvious) Point Perpendicular. In the middle is Plantation Point and I'm standing just above Collingwood Beach, though you can't see the white sand. The water is amazingly flat, waves barely reached over ankles, but it's nice.

Living in such an area, in the quiet of the morning, gives me plenty of ideas for stories; it sure beats the noise and pollution of the city. No way do I want to go back, not when I have this.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Wow, that's really beautiful Jaye. Man, I wish I lived near that. I've always wanted to live near the ocean. Thanks for sharing those.

Jaye Patrick said...

I've always thought of the mountains, not the sea, and yet, here I am enjoying the ocean.

Then again, when I lived in Canberra, I always thought of the sea, while surrounded by mountains.

Go figure!