Friday, May 04, 2007

Not Happy

Pretty pissed off, actually.

I got tagged by that nasty, invasive, irritating as a fruit fly in your redwine, pain-in-the-ass, Spylocked!

Spylocked, for those of you who haven't had the dubious pleasure, is a spyware virus that automatically loads onto your computer and constantly gives you a message that spyware is getting in through the back door of your security system. And if you don't buy this Spylocked software, you'll be doomed. Doomed it tells you.

Not willing to be sucked in, I went to one of the so-called 'testimonials' from PC Weekly. It actually says Spylocked is spyware and to download a spyware killer.

And I did. SpyHunter first. It did an excellent job of identifying the spyware - and others - but I had to buy the software before it could be removed. My Search & Destroy software came up with SpyHunter being Spyware itself. No thank you.

Next, I tried Stopzilla. Downloaded the software, allegedly free like SpyHunter, with the same result. Found the nasties but I had to pay for the privilege of getting rid of it.

The worst thing is that this shitty stuff got past my Windows firewall and Trend Micro PC-cillin - I shan't be renewing.

Over at C-net, I found what I was looking for: CyberDefender. It's freeware, 11.5mb, and so far, has killed SpyLocked and has a warning system for viruses, spyware and spam, and it monitors my system, which is working much better, thank you very much.

I am fed up with this shit, and I have to wonder if some companies produce spy-and ad-ware simply so they can sell the software to kill it.

Of course, I could be seeing conspiracy where none lie, but damn, I have spent enough time and money on downloading empty solutions.

Insert grumble here: and it's put me behind on the marathon. Ass wipes.

I'm just sayin'...

No comments: