Thursday, May 31, 2007

The End

I’ve just finished the last of thirty-one stories for the Forward Motion story-a-day marathon and it comes as a relief.

Some of the stories are pretty cool, some fall into the ‘meh’ category and some, well… I’d just as soon as forget them for one reason or another.

The bottom line is I have another crop of shorts to work on. I think with most of them the ideas are sound; it’s the execution that might be poor (I haven’t re-read any of them yet, but I will).

At least three, however, are precursors to book length works; I didn’t use a generator for them, just the ol’ imagination and the muse.

Last year, the majority were ungenerated and turned out rather well, though it was pointed out to me that most were supposed to be generated. My bad.

At least the stories are done. And as a challenge, this year not one of them uses passive voice – and let me tell you something, that was hard; especially at the end of the day when all I wanted was to have the damn thing done! But, no. I forced my self to go back and restructure.

Not using passive voice is a major style all writers should strive to avoid. Yes, it makes writing back story a bitch, but it’s worth it. I’m more aware of my own style now, and certainly more aware of action sequences, even in passive situations. Yay, me, I’ve learned – and practiced - something new!

No comments: