Monday, January 12, 2009

Modern vamps

So there I sat, depressed at the football results; ye-es, I picked the Giants and Chargers... sigh... and at the end of the latter game, channel surfed.

I came across the History Channel and the program, Vampire Secrets. It deals with the history of vampires, from the 12th century and earlier, right up to the romanticising of the vamp as an object of irresistible lust. It covered myths, forensic science and fact: Vlad Dracule of Romanian (a local hero there) and Hungarian Baroness, Elizabeth Barthory, who bathed in the blood of virgins (ick!). The last hour of the program was of interest to me because it mentioned 'psychic vampires'.

Most people know someone who is 'toxic' or an 'emotional vampire', ie, those who seem to suck us dry of energy with passive-aggressive tendencies or sensitivities too easily offended.

But the psychic vampire... the more I watched, the more I felt my interest peak, and I grabbed for a notebook. Why? Because the parallel with my Nano novels was too close to miss.

Yeah, I had an idea and ran with it, never knowing something similar was a current description of a vampire. During further research, I came across Sanguinarius, a web site for modern day vampires.

The information is fascinating. Within the archives are articles like, Donor Courtesy, Aftercare for Donors and The Ethics of Psi-Vampirism. All genuine articles for the modern day vampire. Some of the information, I suspect, has been taken from Wicca and blended into the Vampire mythos to make it more acceptable.

So now, I've got articles to read and information to absorb. I'm thinking it's going to lend an air of authenticity to my work with the books. Yay!

No comments: