Friday, August 31, 2007

Grrr…

I’ve spent today doing journalist work for this political organisation I’m involved with. So far, it’s been an exercise in frustration.

The ‘force’ behind this organisation, G, constantly second-guesses himself and allows for interference from a former member of Parliament.

Sure, J has a lot to offer the organisation, but so far, he’s succeeded in delaying important work until G agrees to do it his way. An important document to be sent to Parliament was put back to Monday, now, it’s unlikely to get to the Minister until later on in the week, regardless of the fact it was announced on television news that the Minister already had it! Worse, J keeps expressing his desire to keep himself at a distance.

For my part, this means everything I write has to be checked, double-checked, discussed, extra suggestions made, veted by all and 'improvements' made and then deleted, before it’s issued to the media. I really want to slap G and tell him to move on. Can’t though. But I can say nope, I’m no longer willing to help because you keep metaphorically hand-washing and won't let me do what I do on a professional level.

A four paragraph media story should not be turned into a bloody circus, nor take a good five hours to produce!

Now the submission I’m preparing is in jeopardy because G wants me to consult with someone else.

I don’t need this kind of stress, and I will not take a more active role when my advice is unilaterally discounted or open to discussion.

I’ll give them another month and if they haven’t got their act together by then, I’m out. O.U.T. out. I’ve got other things to do.

2 comments:

Bri said...

Wow - how incredibly frustrating. I think you definitely hit it on the head near the end when you said that you wouldn't take a more active roll when they already question/discount/discuss everything you do.

Sorry you're having to deal with this - and I hope they get their stuff together.

Jaye Patrick said...

Hah! Yet another tedious meeting today; if nothing is decided, I'm tellin' em not to call me until they have an action plan!