Monday, August 14, 2006

Oh, dear...

I spent some quality time with the... d.e.n.t.i.s.t. today. For me, it's a special kind of torture and no amount of talking to myself would lower the anxiety levels.

It took four injections of... stuff... and there was still a sting when he drilled (why can't someone invent a drill that doesn't whine like that!).

He's a great dentist; you get cool sunglasses to wear and there's an LCD television screen stuck to the ceiling... ah, he's also very professional, compassionate and focused on the task.

There was a time when I thought: I can't do this. Stop... Please? But, of course, it had to be done.

Me, I can appreciate a good slap of irony. Mr Bean episodes were playing in a loop and yes, you guessed it: the 'Mr Bean visits the dentist' episode played.

Do you know how hard it is not to laugh with a mouth full of fingers and instruments? It's actually one of the few episodes I really like.

Just shows that while fate is torturing you, there'll be something to chuckle at. Works in books, too. I believe Joss Whedon has said that if you're going to dump your characters into a desperate situation, throw in some humour to ease the stress.

It works - however temporarily. The rest of the treatment didn't seem like such a burden. A couple of hours later, and the skin on my face still feels as if to slide off; then it will ache something chronic. Ever tried to hold your mouth open for an hour and a half?

Well, he recommended a glass of vino or two, so, being the good patient that I am, I can't go against his recommendations, now can I? If nothing else, it will give me Dutch courage to turn up again on Thursday...

3 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

A glass of wine? Now, that's a dentist I like.

BTW, to block out the noise, have you tried a walkman or portable CD player?

Jaye Patrick said...

I don't know if I'm allowed to take one in - occupational health and safety and all that.

I think it's all about the humour releasing endorphins. Maybe I'll ask if he's got any Monty Python or Absolutely Fabulous or Blackadder.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, the only thing my dentist complains about is that he can't hear the music over that drill noise. He happens to like opera, too.