Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Music remembered

I could have written a post about the miners in Tasmania, but I think that's been covered ad nauseum. I could have written about the loss of one of our leading journalist, Richard Carlton, but that's too close since he was an integral part of my degree. All I'll say is that he was a hell of a journalist and in inspiration.

No. I shan't write about those two major events. Instead... something else.

As you know, I'm writing a story a day for the FM marathon. So far, I've beaten my ears senseless with Mike Oldfield, Shawn Colvin, The Pretenders, Fleetwood Mac, Robbie Williams...

Music engenders in the writer, a certain mood conducive to the production of a certin type of story. After eight stories, I could see a similarity appearing that I didn't want, and can edit later.

But tonight, I wanted something different, and boy did I find it!

Rummaging around in the dungeon, I found some music gems I simply had to play again.

First up was Sky. Anyone remember them? I found an album that went even further back: Bo Hansson's Lord of the Rings soundtrack, from, oh, I think it was the seventies. Now I have playing in my ears the most precious gem of all. An album that no matter how long ago I played it - and let's not get into that - each note, each song, each emotion is remembered: Mike Batt's Tarot Suite.

These three albums are absolutely perfect for me to write to. Mike Batt especially because I remember writing some of my first pieces to the soundtrack and those stories had something special; not enough to send out, but... something.

Gosh, what a blast from the past. I'll probably be hunting for my Alan Parson's Project albums next...

No comments: