Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Adaptations

Over at Sci-Fi.com, their news site has announced some adaptations of books into movies/tv series/graphic comics.

Jim Butcher's Dresden Files is to become a television series, and if you look on the web, there are sites that mention all the goings on with that. I've read the first book, and I think I'd be interested in the series.

But what caught my attention, was the announcement of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series being developed for the big screen. Dragonflight was one of the first sci-fi novels I ever read. (My brother gave me this and Andre Norton's Moon of Three Rings; from then on, I was hooked on sci-fi.)

I'm thinking that with both these series, the film/tv makers are going to have to tread carefully; with the Pern books especially. They have been well loved since 1968 when Dragonflight first appeared. And, for all you writers out there, Dragonflight had its genesis as a short story. I, for one, am hoping they do an outstanding job.

The other news announced by Sci-Fi.com is that Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series will be made into comic books. Dabel Brothers announced the the book back at the end of last year, but now, they have an artist, Brett Booth, how, thankfully, is a fan of the series. First up is, of course, Guilty Pleasures. Laurell's site has examples of Brett's work, as does Dabel Brothers.

This is something I'm gonna have to buy. I might not like the direction the series is heading, but the first five books are terrific; full of sass, action, suspense and dynamic plots. (I just hope I can get them here in Aus, rather than having to order them in.)

A preview was released last month in the first issue of Marshall, released on 26 April. I haven't seen it. Ain't no comic book stores within a hundred k of where I live. But, I'll hunt it down when I get to Conflux in a fortnight.

The comic of Guilty Pleasures is due to hit the stores in June with the two-part graphic novels available in January and July 2007. Hell, why am I telling you this? Go read the press releases!

No comments: