Monday, May 15, 2006

Halfway

I'd like to say it's half-time at the story-a-day marathon over at Forward Motion and break out the oranges, have the coach present a scathingly brilliant game plan and to nod sagely as if it all made sense, but alas, it doesn't work that way.

Yes, it's fifteen stories down with another sixteen to go, but there is no way-station to rest my weary muse and imagination.

The overwhelming majority of my stories free-writing; that is, I'm not using a generator to give me my characters, where the story takes place, an important item or what must happen in the beginning, middle or end. No. This year, it's all from what surrounds me, what creativeness I can raise from the mundane, and that is hard.

Not impossible - at least, not yet - but difficult. On the plus side, it's a challenge and that's what the marathon is all about: challenging yourself; to try something new, or different, to become a better writer.

*sigh*

The story generators are my back-up, my safety net; so far, I've used them for three stories.

Some of the fifteen bear closer scrutiny; I think I have some gems there for novels, others are... well, shite... but the kernals of ideas remain, one day to be nurtured, watered, weeded and re-written. Or not.

Only sixteen to go... woo-hoo. (Note to self: sarcasm doesn't get the work done.)

No comments: