Thursday, March 09, 2006

Exercising mind and body

When I come home from a hard day's work, I fire up the computer to do some editing and writing - if I have time.

I get out the 'thigh-buster!', load up what I'm editing and get to work, both on the machine and on the editing. (Exercising the abs is a morning thing.)

The music I play supplies the beat for my legs and the screen is large enough for me to read the work. I suppose it's an odd way to do things, but it works. Firmer thighs and focus on the text.

What I discovered in reading my work is a result of not plotting. As ideas occur, I work them into the story line; it's a simply way for the evolution of story and character. The problem is that an idea comes shortly before the solution or it's needed. Yeah, I winced too.

To get around this, I have to plot after the book is written. Tedious, to say the least, but a skill I learned at journalism school. Have the story in your head and write it straight to paper or screen (as it is these days), then you can edit afterwards.

No author will tell you they get the story right first time, and if they do, you have my permission to call them a liar. It just aint so.

How authors evolve their stories is a personal thing. Some simply sit and write; some put on mood music depending on the scene; some will literally wear their thinking cap; some will act out the scene, reciting dialogue to get a feel for their characters; some have an empty desk and others are surrounded by clutter. It's personal. What's important is to find a way that works. I have a number of ways, which I'm not going to tell because they change. (I think it's a Gemini thing.)

The result of all this, is that exercise, no matter how you do it, is not only important to your physical health but your mental health, too.

I'm wondering whether I would have found this problem with my current work, or whether I'd have missed it and been rejected as a result. There are so many things to watch for when writing and I'm pleased I've got this one, at least, nailed down.

Now, on the weekend, I can focus on fixing it and making the book better; and have a better shot at publishing.

No comments: