Friday, March 10, 2006

Critiques

I belong to the Forward Motion site, and as a member, I also belong to the Kiss and Spell critiquing group. We deal with fantasy with a romance tossed in. It hasn't been very active lately, although I put that down to the busy lives the members lead. I know that with all the stuff going on in my life, I barely have time to actually check in, let alone do any critiquing.

It led me to a thought about needing critiquing. Don't get me wrong, every work needs someone to look at it, because authors, for all their skill, have blind spots. Mine is thinking a particular piece of work is as good as I can write it before I post. The reply is usually that as a first draft, it's good, but needs work.

That usually leads me to a number of emotions: the first is that it's not a first draft, thank you very much; the second is well, shit. And the third is whether I need that kind of crap in the first place.

It's hard, really hard, to know what is good work and what isn't. Writing is subjective. I've had a critique by a total stranger wax lyrical about the book and others who have said simply: "it needs work". How the hell is a writer supposed to know when something works or not?

Some of it is gut instinct: I write what I'd like to read and if it has minor problems, well they're fixable if pointed out. That's the emotional side.

The other side is professional: those cold-blooded creatures who know what will sell once your 'brilliant and un-put-downable tome is in their hands.

It's a delicate balance, one I have yet to achieve. Writing is not only about time, it's about emotional investment. A good writer will put themselves into a book, a great writer will open an emotional vein and pour it onto every page.

One of the hardest things I've had to write was a rape scene. Murder, betrayal, even war was easy; rape touches off all sorts of emotions in people. Did it work for me? I don't know. It's one of the best pieces of writing I've ever done, but no-one has read it... yet, but they're about to.

Writing is being brave, it's gathering your courage and putting out there your hear and soul and expecting both to be kicked really hard.

The book, Deception - for wont of a better title - is the last book I wrote and I'm going to put parts of it up for critiquing in my circle. Wish me luck; it's a difficult book and I'm expecting difficult reviews.

Maybe I'll gird my loins, hide the fear of rejection and post some it; it's about time I did so.

No comments: