Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's Up?

Yes, I know, I've been slack in posting.

But I'm finally up to date with the marathon. Two short stories today and nothing... untoward happened. You know... life sometimes gets in the way of creativity. I've also been doing some editing and, as you can imagine, it takes time. And focus, since it's not my own work... though that doesn't sound right does it? No, I don't think so, but you know what I mean.

I don't suppose the pressure will ease until the first of June - something will interrupt my schedule, so I'm thinking of writing a few extras, just in case.

For me, the object of the exercise is to have a store of stories. I'll pick the eyes out of the bunch, edit, revise and send off. Those that don't make it, or are rejected, are the ones that turn up on my Takeaway. Of course, there are those that will nevvuh see the light of day again.

But that's the way it is: for every five or ten stories you write, maybe, maybe one will be interesting enough, written well enough to find a market. At least, that's my experience.

And it's practice, if nothing else, on how to be concise in getting the ideas across.

So, what's up with your writing?

2 comments:

Marina said...

Phew! Just finished a short story I've been working on for weeks. I kept stalling with it but I finally figured out where it was going and I'm quite pleased with it.

Of course, I always am pleased with them when I first finish -- it's not till later that the rot sets in.

Next up -- maybe something from a Seventh Sanctum prompt. I have an idea percolating in the back of my mind. Even if I only got a story a week this month I'd be happy. I'm afraid a story a day is quite beyond me. I'll just have to cheer you on!

Jaye Patrick said...

A story a week are four stories you didn't have before, so write on!

I've found the Forward Motion generator to be excellent, if you want to try it.

And thanks for the cheers!