Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Unsmug

I've put together last year's Nano project Knight Stalker in preparation for editing.

I've also studied and inwardly digested a number of editing techniques; some are similar to my own, and others are something to keep in mind.

Oy, I gotta say I'm appalled by the amount of red words to revise peppering every innocent page. I recall when I wrote this that passive voice and extended sentences didn't matter because I was aiming for a word count total. I also recall how smug I was.

Not doing smug now; stomping all over smug with hob-nailed boots and a bad attitude.

Lesson learned in an ugly, unattractive way. This is going to take time and effort.

When NaNo comes around again, remind me to be more focused on the story and not on how much I can write.

2 comments:

Marina said...

I remember your wordcount was phenomenal. Didn't you write two books? (or am I thinking that because you wrote twice as much as everybody else??)

Jaye Patrick said...

No, you recall correctly. Two books, 200+k - and now I'm paying for the laziness.

This year, I'll be a lot more circumspect in my word choices!