Monday, August 11, 2008

Omega

Yeah, I've been watching the Olly-impics, probably against my will... not anything with China involved though - my little protest - but sport which I don't usually watch, like handball, beach volleyball and the like. The main broadcaster here sticks with the popular sports like swimming. Ack.

Anyway, I finished Omega Games.

It has a lot of familiar territory for those who have read S.L. Viehl's freebies; more chunks that I expected, actually.

However, this story presents its own issues, like the Cherijo/Jarn identity crisis, Duncan's nature and an argument between the two that raises interesting questions. But that's a spoiler.

Overall, we are one step closer to resolution on who Maggie is and what she wants, the immortal issue and the Black Crystal.

Not much else to say because I think this book is a pot-boiler: a book written to bridge the previous to the more important next book.

It's still a good read. If this is a pot-boiler, it's one of the better ones I've read and I'll still buy the next one. This story line has something intriguing about it and I'm guessing 'all will be revealed' soon.

So... what's next on the tbr pile?

3 comments:

Pandababy said...

I too just finished reading Omega Games, and agree with all that you have to say about it.

As for what is next on the TBR pile?

I'm reading Hawkspar by Holly Lisle. It has been on my shelf for a few weeks, because I so liked Talyn, that I couldn't bear to start reading Hawskpar, since then I would soon be done with it. I don't know if that makes any sense to anyone but me.

So, into Hawskpar, totally loving it. The 'official' industry review at Amazon puts it down with soft digs. Hah! If they could write anything half as good, they wouldn't be hacking out pseudo-reviews. I'm always surprised at people that won't give credit where it is due. Holly has created another masterpiece, IMHO.

Jaye Patrick said...

I've yet to read Talyn. I've been disappointed with Holly.

I didn't think much of The Secret Texts trilogy, nor did I think Midnight Rain, I See You, Last Girl Dancing or Night Echoes were anything special; too much was telegraphed to the reader.

Even the excerpts don't inspire me to read it. I know: blasphemy! But there you go.

For me, Kim Harrison's Where Demons Dare is next.

Pandababy said...

I have yet to read something by Kim Harrison, but I enjoy your book list, so she's on my list now.

I'm enjoying Hawkspar, but Talyn is the very best Holly has written, I think. But if you didn't like the Secret Texts trilogy.....!