Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bits and pieces

Corporate entities must be desperate.

I was in a major chain store this morning and saw - after rubbing my eyes and checking again - Christmas lights for sale. Yep, a reindeer and sled neon light set.

It couldn't be a post-Christmas sale thing, it's Ju-ly, but I can see people buying them anyway. It just kinda sucks all the joy out shopping pre-season. And yes, some might think, 'ha! Christmas in July!' Or not. Me, I just sneered and moved on.

* * *
And did buy myself some dragons. A nice couple of Knights. They almost look as if they could replace the knights in my Imperial Dragon chess set, except they're the wrong colour.

I also picked up a CD. Will Martin's debut album A New World. He's a New Zealander, but I shan't hold that against him. He does a fabulous version of Over the Hills and Far Away. If you've seen the Sharpe series, you'll know the song. He also sings So Far Away, a song that Amici Forever do on their album Defined, which is, to me, the ultimate soldier's song; well, that's how I hear it.

Hmm... anyway, back to Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr...

2 comments:

Jason said...

It kinda makes me sad that they're doing that. I love Christmas, and by November I start getting really excited and in the spirit, but...July?! Even I don't freak that much. That's being a little obviously greedy.

But I think that's funnier (and sadder) than the stores selling the items that early...are the people buying them that early, ha.

Jaye Patrick said...

I'm ignoring anything Christmasy until October (large family, must start early).

Besides, we've got the Inquisitor General arriving next week and I want nothing do with - or hear about - Christianity until I absolutely have to.