Saturday, January 05, 2008

Tweaking

Note to self: do not, repeat: do not screw around with the internet settings on the computer - ask a professional.

I figured I could attach my new shiney toy to the internet via the router. Sure, the program asked me to change and adjust a few things, but they seemed so minor...

Yeah, right. Anyway, I went back to the original connections and it's staying that way.

The new toy has Spider Solitaire.

As you know, spiders and me? No. Not friends, no interest other than to either kill or leave well alone.

But this game; so-oo addictive! It got me to thinking that if I just reverse those moves, try it this way, all will be well and I'll win the game... Hours later, I'm still playing, trying to lift the 30% win ratio, with two suits.

The thought occurred to me that this is what writers do: tweak it a little, backup and re-write that last little bit; wonder whether it works better. No? Well, go forward a couple of moves but change that bit... and so on. If you do it often enough, you'll either never be done, or you'll win.

How's that for a long draw of the bow to join writing to an addictive card game named after a creepy-crawlie?

One thing that these games do is increase the brain power through problem solving; like those Mensa tests. Gymnastics for the mind. (But that's my excuse; and I'm sticking to it!)

3 comments:

Jason said...

Ha ha, that's funny. Sounds like you're enjoying your new laptop. I didn't something similar to that, too. I learned, you just don't mess with that stuff.

Barrie said...

It's always hard to resist a new toy...

Jaye Patrick said...

I'm trying not to feel guilty with the amount of time I'm playing with it, but I have to get used to it. Is it my fault new toys get a work out?