Monday, October 01, 2007

Oh... the temptation

I'm looking after my 14-year-old niece this week. It's been a while, but we get to do stuff together, like go to the movies, the beach, simply talk.

Over-riding all this is one of her projects: to write a murder mystery with items in the story taken from a list. Yesterday, we sat down to write a kind of plot. Today, she started writing. I've just finished looking it over.

The temptation to write it for her is nigh overwhelming, but I've restrained myself. I need to also clamp down on the editor side. I'm there to help, not take over. It's gonna be tough because I want it to be the best. More importantly, I want S. to be satisfied it's her best. To that end, I'll just have to reign myself in and settle for advice.

I said I'd do a cover for her - full colour an' everything. Her mother, C., is going to print it all out and bind it for her, just like a book.

In the meantime, I have to teach her not to go off on tangents, to stick to the point and follow the plot. Hah! Me, an organic writer, teaching someone to follow the plot line. I think we're both going to learn something from this exercise.

We're taking a break until tomorrow. We're off to see Stardust. Then we'll get back to it, finish it by week's end without disrupting play time.

Sigh, I must not interfere too much... I must not interfere too much...

2 comments:

Gabriele Campbell said...

Hehe, you could introduce her to Nano. :)

Jaye Patrick said...

Tried. So far, it's a no go I'm afraid... although, I'm not giving up yet.