Saturday, March 24, 2007

Paparazzi Parrot

I took a break from anything to do with writing and worked in the garden.

This is a danger zone for me because I'm botanically-challenged. A weed, is a weed is a Babiana? I have no idea until they flower. My siblings don't suffer from the same malady. They, the evil trolls, can simply point at a plant and name it - my mother goes one better and names it in latin, too.

I'm tugging out the grass - yes, I know it was grass - from a drain, when the squawking of Rainbow Lorikeets came from overhead. They're noisy beggars but beautiful.

They squabble like children, talking over each other, snuggle together, fly rapidly and are incredibly difficult to see if you don't know where they are in the trees.

Two settled into the bottle brush, two others into a nearby tree and I figured I could get my camera and take a few shots.

This little one is obviously a celebrity parrot. He sat very still for this photograph, but every one after, he ducked into the foliage, jumped to the Sesanqua Camellia and otherwise refused to have another photo taken. The other lorikeets were busily chatting away like schoolkids. Probably giving him a razzing.

You'll note the scowl on his face in this photo. Ah... what it is to be popular.

2 comments:

Pandababy said...

A 'knockout' of a photograph! and I'm still trying to figure out how to put a picture in my blog (sniffle).

Congrats.

Jaye Patrick said...

Thanks, P.

When you're writing your post, click on the photograph icon. It will take you to the upload area.

From there, you can post a picture, though be aware, you'll have to cut and paste because the photo will default to the beginning of the post.