Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The first goodbye

Had a fabulous farewell lunch at a restaurant overlooking the Bay; paid for by the boss who'd come down from Canberra. It's rare to have a boss like that. Of course, he prefers the sea environment and relaxed atmosphere to the rush and heat of the Nation's Capital - who wouldn't?

Still no word on an eleventh hour proposal - those idiots above my boss just don't seem to understand the amount of work to be done, and while I'd like to keep doing my job, it ain't gonna happen.

I'm looking forward to the time off, actually. I've worked a year without a holiday and I need one. The occasional day off is fine, but it's not a sleep-in-watch-a-dvd-read-a-book-or-do-nothing kind of relaxing time.

I've set myself a month to brood... er, relax before my amazing CV goes off to a number of industries. It will also give the powers-that-be time to reflect on their disasterous decision.

During that month, I'll lay off any kind of work to catch up on dvds and books for a week, then dive into writing - got an idea brewing - and editing and sending stuff off; get back into the rhythm of sitting in front of my computer and working.

Friday will be a half day for me - with the second goodbye, a morning tea. Yay! Let's hear it for cream cakes! And if the... insert rude word... don't arrange it, I am walkin' outta there. Okay, no I'm not, I'll just keep doing the database building project that was given to me today.

Two and a half days to go...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, I know how frustrating...inept...bosses can be. Hope you can pull through.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Inept bosses are no fun, but the chocolate chip counting ones are not a nice breed, either. I've worked for one of these.

Good luck.

Jaye Patrick said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate a boss who sees the big picture - but those above, the bean counters, won't know the difference; those on the ground will, more's the pity.