Saturday, December 16, 2006

Winding up

Halfway through December and things are winding up. Now, you can take that two ways: winding up, as in finishing, or winding up as in getting ready for the big finale.

Finishing up: Solstice preparations and Christmas preparations for those who celebrate the festivities. Prezzies are bought wrapped and under the tree, food is purchased, but some I need to pick up next weekend. Getting through the TBR pile, though I'm doubting I'll finish it all. Never mind, I'll have some to start off the new list. Sweeping out the 'old', too, and trying to be more organised for the New Year; that's not a 'resolution', simply a practicality. For Feng Shui purposes, it's also good luck to have cleared spaces to live, work and sleep in.

Winding up: to celebrate the Solstice next week. Got the fruits and nuts and blessings done. No parties though, this year it's a private celebration for my own good fortunes of friends and family. Preparing for a big edit month in January and website upgrade with more samples of work. Visitors are turning up after the 25th and 1st of January so it will be busy time. I'll also be in the last month of my contract and trying to get as much work done as possible to ease the transition.

Got plenty of party invites, too; all but one I've declined. I don't sing the carols, they're Christian, and I'd rather not explain to the hardline religious types that I'm Pagan, not Christian - I get strange or aggressive looks, as if I'm a filthy heathen witch in need of savin' or burnin'. Nup, it's the other way around, but that's an argument for a later time.

So, one lunch, for the admin staff without the trappings of Yulle; one I'm happy to attend, rather than be required to because my area bought and served the food to the local indigenous community. (Not a word of thanks from those we hosted it for, either, but I understand their motivations even if they, as individuals, don't.)

The week between Christmas and New Year, we have a shut down at work, and I so need the week off. I need to be away from the people and personalities I have to deal with. My equanamity and patience are running dry and I need to recharge before I do or say something that will cause the Karma Fairy to dump all over me. Five days. That's all. Five long days and then I can toast Mother Earth and Father Sky, ask for the Blessings of the new season. Sigh. I have patience yet, and then I can enjoy myself.

No comments: