Sunday, September 25, 2005

Manufactured moods

When I'm writing, I 'listen' to a number of albums, depending on what genre the work is in. I say 'listen' because when I'm involved, I may not actually hear the music, only the silence when the album is finished.

It's a focus thing and it's a mood thing. And I have found I use the same type of music over and over again. For the big scenes, battles, revelations, etc, I listen to the soundtrack of... Conan the Barbarian or Wagner. Both have the sweeping majesty and I'm-gonna-kill-you-for-justice military cadence. For clever conversations or sly light bulb moments, I'll be using Mike Oldfield or Mozart. Love scenes and betrayal, I can't go past Pachebel's Canon or Clannad. Happy scenes, contented acceptance is, surprisingly, Shawn Colvin, Merril Bainbridge or Tchaikovsky. Scenes of anger, I-don't-give-a-shit, it's Pat Benatar. For a lot of the rest, I listen to Amici, and the numerous single CDs I have - and of those, most are repeats.

Each piece of music generates a particular mood for me that seeps into my subconscious and promotes the attitude I'm looking for. It's works. I've read previous manuscripts I've written and I can steep myself in the words. Not because I remember the music, but because the mood is there, in the writing. For some of it, I'm surprised. I didn't remember writing that bit and it was damn good. I'm sure other authors feel the same way.

There's satisfaction in manufacturing moods when the words come out just right.

No comments: