Saturday, September 24, 2005

Busman's Holiday from Hell

I had always thought that my editing skills would be useful, especially when I'm writing fiction, and that's true. What I didn't expect was that the department across the way would also find them useful. Without my knowledge, or consent, my boss negotiated with the aforementioned department to use my skills. The pay off? Not bookoo dollars, but a training course which the unnamed department would pay for.

Well, harumph! The work they want me to do will take a week or two; the course, two days. Who got the better deal? Editors aren't cheap, but apparently, I am. I've got news for them: their precious manual isn't as perfect as they thought. Hah! Of course, I'm as much of a perfectionist as I was once described as, which is lucky for them and unfortunate for me.

Now that I've griped about that, all I can say is that it's probably a good thing I was standing by to do this for them. The project will go on my CV along with other works I've done. And the training? Like a lot of course, it will swing from boring to exciting.

Next time, I just want them to ask instead of assume. Then we can perhaps come to a more equitable remuneration.

No comments: