Sunday, September 11, 2005

Dust to dust

I think it is safe to assume that the Ashes are lost to us. We've held the trophy for sixteen years and now it is on its way home. Why the Aussies decided accept the bad light call for the second day running is beyond me. Do they think, that with England's current form, they can still reach a big total and bowl the opposition out?

How realistic is that? It's not even close. England need only a draw and by the way the Aussies are playing, you'd think it was they who needed a draw and not a win.

What the hell is Punter thinking? Fine, Hayden makes a ton. So what? It will be overshadowed by the glee and celebrations of the Poms. And rightly so. They have worked hard to use the Aussie's game against them. With players like Warne contracted to English cricket sides, the Poms have plenty of practice against him. To our detriment. It's made the game more skillful, more exciting and the resurgence of English cricket can only be good for the game.

I'm not saying that the domination of Australian cricket is over, but it certainly looks shaky. The reliance on old, and admittedly effective, strategies has exposed a fatal flaw. It would have been nice for some of the older players to go out with a win, but that's not going to happen.

And much as it pains me... well done to the English. You've worked hard, played hard and won the series.

To other sport and it's finals time in the AFL and ARL. All I can say is: Carn the Dragons!!!

Apropos yesterday, I plugged in the new printer/scanner/copier and it works a treat... after a few bugs were sorted out. I still have the properties in German, but I'm sure I can a) translate or b) work around that.

I finished up half way through the book. In two months' time, the National Novel writing competition begins and I must have some dot points organised before then, so this book must have the edits finished before then. I figure I'm on target to have some down time in December, but who knows? My job contract is up in late November with the prospect of more work. The NaNo book might not be as long as I want it to be by the time I finish, but I love a good challenge and the idea I have is an original one - and book number ten. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments: